- Is quality negotiable?
- Is risk negotiable?
- Are people resources the equivalent of other resources?
Sunday, July 19, 2015
Friday, July 3, 2015
Businesses frequently make the same mistake when adopting technology, they assume that the best technology will create the best outcome. The reality, however, is that a good processes create good outcomes, technology just improves the process. So what can you do to improve the processes before you implement the technology?
- Document your processes. (Flow charts and swim lanes work well.)
- Review that process. (A lot of problems may become obvious by looking at spaghetti on the charts from step 1.)
- Review the process with the people who do the process, they will have insights that you don't.
- Create a list of specific change to implement.
- Measure the the improvements.
- Return to step one.
So where does technology fit in, somewhere between step 4 and 5. Before you implement technology make sure you do some cost justifications. Saving $500 per month may not justify $100,000 worth of software.